LFA has extensive experience in managing and controlling legal costs, built upon actively working in the trenches with corporations and their outside counsel. Our goal is not to slash costs indiscriminately, and our fee is not contingent upon how much we cut. While lower legal bills are an almost inevitable result of our work, our true goal is to ensure that every dollar spent produces a dollar’s worth of demonstrable value.
Litigation management success requires legal knowledge—and a deep understanding of the close but complicated relationships that exist among in-house counsel, outside counsel and other vendors, including LFA. We are sensitive to each party’s interests and are respected for our ability to strengthen the relationships between in-house and outside counsel. This is partly because of our transparency and accountability, but also because we have walked in the shoes of the various parties. A testament to our thoughtful approach is the fact that outside counsel who have been subject to our review often refer us to their other clients.
Our primary litigation management services include:
- Select and retain counsel, experts and related vendors
- Model budget projections and anticipate expenses
- Negotiate initial legal pricing and billing guidelines
- Design litigation workflow and work scope agreements, often among multiple legal providers
- Perform day-to-day management of counsel and designate work assignments
- Provide training on cost-effective litigation strategies
- Allow litigation counsel to focus on strategy rather than cumbersome management duties
- Track monthly spending and assess reasonableness
- Address fee-related concerns proactively
- Served as consultant to global pharmaceutical company, advising in-house counsel on the management of outside counsel in mass tort, multi-jurisdictional litigation involving thousands of claims pending in a federal MDL, and various consolidated and other state court actions.
- Served as consultant advising insurer and insured on the management of insured-selected counsel in multi-jurisdictional litigation and related investigations arising out of a catastrophic train derailment.
- Served as consultant to national class action counsel, advising on the management of co-counsel, local counsel and the retention and management of experts and vendors.